Friday, July 18, 2014

A new[?] apologetic against Calvinists


John Calvin
Before I begin, no I don’t consider myself a good apologist like… well you can insert your favorite name wherever.  However when I have a hundred things on my mind (ie: I am going crazy) I do my most sane thinking [ha, take that Chestertonians!].

So the apologetic is focused on disproving the Calvinist notion that we have no free will.  I don’t know if this is a new apologetic but I’m just putting it out there without a copy right because… well… im dumb.


 When Christ was in Gesemene, sweating blood over what was about to happen he asked His Father to take the chalice from him, but that it be the Fathers will and not his own that would be done.

So too St. Paul tells us in his letter to the Hebrews that Christ was like us in all ways, except in sinning. 

If Christ was tempted and choose against sin, and he was like us in all ways except that he would not sin, then that necessitates a free will in man to choose right and wrong.

Some might object that Christ could not choose to sin because He is the “all good, being God”.  If we were concerned here with the first or third Persons of the Blessed trinity this would be true for their only nature is divine, just as their personhood is divine.  Jesus, being the second person of the blessed Trinity indeed was solely a divine person; however, we profess that Christ had two natures, both a human and a divine.  This is often referred to as the hypostatic union and is affirmed even by the Calvinist. 


So since Christ had a human nature he was free to choose that which is good and reject that which is evil (sin).  Since this is true and he is like us in all ways except sin, we as people having a single nature, being human, have a free will to choose right and wrong.  Like our Lord in Gesemene we can say “take this chalice from me”, but we can also state “thy will be done,” because we are not perfected creatures yet.

+JMJ+

No comments:

Post a Comment