Friday, August 14, 2015

Fr. Hollowell:"Mass Needs to Be Just What I Want"

 "My Faith isn't shaken by crappy Church architecture 
My Faith isn't shaken by music at Mass that is off key and strained 
My Faith isn't shaken by bored servers dressed in ratty garb 
My Faith isn't shaken by there not being a communion rail 
My Faith isn't shaken by priests celebrating Mass facing the people 
My Faith isn't shaken by Mass trending towards a cult of personality around the celebrant 
My Faith isn't shaken by 48 people distributing Holy Communion at every Mass 

The problem is...I'M NOT THE STANDARD FOR WHAT MASS SHOULD BE! 

The Church's requirements for the Mass aren't based on what will or will not affect MY PERSONAL Faith 

The Church has set up the Mass in a certain way so as to help strengthen the Faith of people who visit and DON'T know what we believe when they walk in. 

St John Vianney, Blessed Mother Teresa, St. Francis and countless others preached and lived RADICAL POVERTY but also wrote extensively and also actually built beautiful Churches, secured beautiful vestments, etc."

Read the rest of his post HERE (BTW, can someone inform Deacon Kandra and the Patheos folks that female lectors are not necessary... is it really that hard for the priest to read all three letters?)

No comments:

Post a Comment